Tuesday 25 November 2014





SEEING AS GOD SEES


As a very little girl – perhaps five years old – I dreamed of being a trapeze artist. It is possible I was influenced by old circus films and frothy pink costumes, but I believe the desire spoke to something deeper than that which I had seen with my physical eyes. I believe it spoke to something embedded in my spirit before I was formed in my mother’s womb; that when God dreamed me up He also planted in me the dream that would lead me to places of fulfilment.
            For most of this year I have been travelling and speaking to groups about Marion Fromm’s work with landmine survivors and the book I wrote about this. In her childhood she dreamed of defying convention to do dangerous and outrageous things like smuggling bibles into China – all of which prepared her for what she does, today, in Cambodia. I use my trapeze story to illustrate how childhood ambitions seem to influence our adult choices and interests and how this was so in Marion’s life. I encourage my audiences to allow the resurrection of dreams that died long ago, and use them to fulfil their deepest heart desires.
            This has led me to thinking about trapezes and what this might say about the dream God embedded in me before I was born: perhaps it did say something about my enjoyment of performance – singing, acting, public speaking – but if that was the case why do I so dislike heights? And why have I never been interested in anything remotely sporty or physical?
            Recently, I woke up thinking about a picture that a week or so prior had appeared on my Face Book. In a split second a trapeze superimposed itself on it. It was like a window opening on my soul. Suddenly, it made sense.







           Learn to view things from a heavenly perspective. And dream big with God.

















4 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, Rhonda, thanks for the encouragement. I am just experiencing the delight of dreams being fulfilled, and the great feeling of learning from those flying higher than myself, rather than feeling unimportant or even jealous. God knows the pace we can handle; all we need to do is hang on (for dear life, as it sometimes feels!). Blessings, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, childhood desires can be very real. When I was three I decided I wanted to be an actress. When I was four I decided I wanted to be a writer. These desires never left me and were based in my desire to make up stories. One has come to fruition, so when my eight year old son tells me he wants to become a chemical scientist, I take him seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate you were to recognise and pursue your dreams from an early age, Lynne. Not everyone does. For much of my life I just felt embarrassed and in denial (surely it couldn't be godly!!) that I liked performance. And I meet so many who feel the same and who, in the process, have repressed their God-given calling and equipping.

      Delete